I loved your post.

I've thought of what to say and its been so painful to read since it brings back memories of my upbringing, I could not write anything coherent or meaningful.

Much of what your DD has gone through, I went through. The schools were almost uniformly horrible. The over sensitivities she has I have and still do to some extent.

Have you though of showing your post to your daughter? Or getting her some books on GT that speak to her?

I never had a chance to discuss this with my mother because she passed away with ALS, and at the end when we could have talked, she was mute, and all we could do was look at each other with love in our eyes.

The unschooling has probably been very good for her because it allowed her to develop without being crippled by the prejudices of the school system.

It was the best you could do at the time and it was the right thing because she would have learned on her own ANY WAY or, worse, been denied the means to teach herself. You kept her out of that prison called school.

We each have instincts that are often more right than our intellectual suppositions. Acting on gut feel but with your eyes open can work better in some situation.

She will grow into an amazing woman.

Last edited by Austin; 03/26/09 02:48 PM. Reason: Added gut feel