Thanks for the reassuring words, Arminius. If you don't mind my asking...did you give your parents trouble in other ways? Generally defiant and/or stubborn? Or was it just a handwriting issue?

I'm still not sure if his problem is a pencil grip/handwriting problem that can be eased by teaching him to type. He seems to hate typing just as much. It seems like a psychological fear triggered by the sight of a blank page (or screen)...

In the mean time, I am despondent over this child. As I feared, it gets a little worse each day...I feel angry at him all the time, but I know I shouldn't, because on a very real level it isn't his fault, so I suppress the anger-- and the result is that I am slipping into a depression and today had a full-blown panic attack.

You are all describing brilliant children who need acceleration... I have a brilliant child who can hardly get through the day, does shoddy work, and fights a losing battle to control himself.

It's extra frustrating right now, because I saw something that worked-- a particular antibiotic-- but I could not leave him on it, so I've had to watch this all come back again and again...

It feels like that story, Flowers for Algernon...

Horrible.