Dina - On behalf of my son, I accept and thank you for your congradulations.

DS and I have long talks about "Generation Y" and their troubles, and we agree with you in Principle that this next generation has some challenges to face. I'm looking for big ideas about what to do about this.

Interestingly, we have some friends who accuse us of "making too big a deal about the gifted thing, and at first, found the gradeskip as the ultimate in 'my kid is special' parenting" but lately they are saying that they see a positive difference, and that he seems much happier and more mature. Yippee!

The lovefest started when they made a derogitory comment like: "Unlike you, we don't think it's so great to have our child be always the top of their class." ((At least it was out of the kids' earshot.))

Which allowed me to say, loudly: "I couldn't agree with you more. That's what's so great about his current situation! And we are blessed to be in a year of kids that is unusually able, with a high percentage of red-shirted kids who are older, and wonderful compainions for DS. I'm so pleased with his school - challenging and flexable!"
After that we got the big compliments. Weird, but I'll take it!

There is lots of worry, and reason to worry, just no clear sign yet of what to do, beyond our own children, and the folks who look to us for advice. As we go, we get better at talking about what our intentions are, and it's easier for folks around us to see what we are up to. I don't want the baby (good school placement) to get thrown out with the bathwater (kids who think they are special.)

Smiles,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com