I'm new to this group and to the world of GT. My son last winter took the NNAT (Naglieri non-verbal ability test) as a kindergartener. Our school district (urban, fairly large) gives this test to all the kindergarteners in the district.

My son got a PR-S of 99-9 and a score of 140. Does someone out there know how to interpret these scores? Would this be roughly equivilent to being in the 99th percentile on an IQ test?

We recieved a letter from our school saying our son is gifted, but not at what level. The cut off for the district is a PR of 92. And you can ask for gifted status with a score over 85 and a portfolio. But all kids in the district who are labelled as "gifted" are treated the same. Which at our particular school, means absolutely nothing without a whole lot of advocacy. I'm not even sure they use that info at our school. There is no pull out program or anything like that.

There is a gifted magnet in our district to which you can apply. Which we did. But once you apply, it is by random lottery. We are sitting on a waiting list. So it is totally possible for a non-reading first grader to get in over a child reading at the 4th-6th grade level and working on multiplication and fractions (which would be our kid, of course!).

We are debating our next move. Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm seriously considering looking into homeschooling.