Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by Grinity
You may as well start looking around to see what the law actually says. When you met the lumpers (who see the top 10%, 5% or 3% all as one lump) you want to be ready with what the law says regarding the individual needs of individual students. This isn't something to bother your school about, but it's a nice excuse to meet the local Gifted Community, attend the state functions (if you haven't already) and set up a few playdates. Your State department of Ed website may have a few articles as well.

I am familiar with the law, and I am glad that the school thinks it says what it does, but as a recovering lawyer, I can see there are ways to weasel out of it if the school wanted to. (It's a newer law, so I'm feeling pretty good that the gifted coordinator feels it supports us, because she'll then tell the principal that.) But I'm just pretending that it's all good right now!

Your end of things is to start thinking about 'is my kid happy to learn independently, ok with a small group, or needs a whole classroom.' That way when his scores come back +2 or +3 years, you know what to ask for.

Great advice, I will start thinking about this. I know DS is happy as a lark by himself with his educational software, so i'm thinking that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if he is set aside for part of the day with a computer. It's hard to know about the learning with other kids bit, since he hasn't really done much (if any) of that.

Also, with MAP testing coming, be sure to hot house a little bit, so that, for example, he may know the concept of multiplication verbally, and be able to multiply a bit, but if he's never seen the 'x' on paper, he will confuse the MAP test big time. I'd leave a few math workbooks around the house or car of different levels so that he sees a variety of 'standard' Math questions in advance and can ask you 'notation' questions.

Did I mention my DS, though beyond kindy math, isn't one of the mathy kids? smile The MAP test includes language arts, science, etc, so i don't think i need to get to multiplication yet for him to do pretty well, but i'll show him some equations before the test anyway.

[quote] We still have some concerns, such as no official gifted programs until 3rd grade,
((Humor Alert)) I don't understand, do you mean to say that you think he isn't ready for a 3rd grade gifted program now?

ha ha - i think by 3rd grade they do expect you to sit in your seat for longer than 15 minutes and know how to write, so i don't think he could hack it.

But all in all, good news for us for now. I'll keep everyone posted on what happens next. Thanks for the advice and for happy dancing with me. smile