Originally Posted by Zia's Mom
3. I am a little confused on what seems to be a majority opinion on possibly "one skip at a time" or "baby steps". This is at the heart of our angst over starting school. My premise is this, and perhaps I am wrong: Why spend the huge amount of money on a private, gifted school so he can "formally" begin his education opposed to preschool where he would be if we kept him in the public school system, if the placement is not correct?

Is it any better to be unchallenged in 1st grade then it is in pre-school or kindergarten? If a child already knows all the material, isn't the only option at that point to either send them strictly for socialization and not academics or home school?
I ask this with all sincerity. I respect your collective experiences in areas we are just beginning to explore.

Hi Zia's Mom!
I like how well you summed up the question - Is it better to be unchallenged with a 3 year accleration (1st grade) than unchallenged in preschool?
(Am I counting correctly if you add a year due to the school being one year ahead curriculum-wise?)

It is much better! Most classrooms have about at least a 3 year spread in terms of "readiness level" and differention. Many of us observe that "in-class" enrichment is realistic when one is with in 2 years of "where they should be." I'm not saying that 2nd is bad for your son, just that you are not at risk for his "de-sparking" by keeping him in 1st for a few months to see how it goes for him. School is quite different from learning. I would like to see your school offer you a flexible "combination" approach, where he has "one from column A, one from Column B and 2 from Column C" choices amoung all of his ages.

You have to ask yourself if you are willing to be flexible, and perhaps fail, versus going slower and adjusting as you see the need. Your job is to monitor and love. You will know if the spark is fading. Homeschooling is the only "safe" alternative in this regard, but if you want to play the school game, then give it your best shot, put together the best plan you can, and let the experiment run! There are always unexpected benifits from a good school with good teachers. Expect to make corrections because life just isn't as simple as "take a test, be assigned to a grade." - I wish it were. Ask the school how they would feel about letting him tape record his written product 30% of the time. Their response will indicate if they "get" his intellectual/abstract reasoning needs, or if they want each child to be "a 2nd grader" or "a 1st grader."

Ask them what signs they look for to know if a child is at a proper "readiness level."

10 WPM is terrific "for his age" - but it still isn't "the real deal" in terms of having a way to communicate. (yet)

Has he memorised his times tables?

You have to remember that since most children his age are not much able to do "abstract thought" you son will not be appreciated for his ability to do so. He is in the position of the slowest runner in a school, he happens to be able to fly, but that's not considered a big deal, because there are not flying races or flying lessons, flying isn't something that people are thought to be able to do. ((BTW - this isn't true for all teachers or all school, but be cautious)) And it must be noted that learning to run is a useful skill - when he is physically ready to learn it - even for a boy with wings. The trick is that the regular running lessons may or may not be enought, because it is trick to learn to run with those big wings hanging off the back, ruining your balance, yes?

I'm sad to say that there isn't any "turnkey" school situation, where you can get everything figured out at once, and then sit back. Don't stress yourself out by trying to get the whole thing figured out at once, it's a process, yes?

Love and More Love,
Trinity

Coaching available, at SchoolSuccessSolutions.com