Tomorrow is 'take your parent to school' day. I get to spend the morning in his classroom, seeing what he does. Then we get to eat salsibury steak! Is there a barfing icon here? haha.

I just am not ready for this, 3 years ago he was hiding under his desk, 2 years ago he was clinging to his teacher, 1 year ago he started kicking butt with academics, this year he's getting farther ahead(his grades currently are 2 'A's & 4 'A+'s); but he still seems a bit fragile emotionally. That fragility and the need to be accepted by the older kids leads me to think acceleration is a bad idea right now. But boredom is a really bad thing, too.

One of the other scout moms is a teacher at the high school, she teaches physics & some AP science classes. I was talking to her about what is available in middle school. She said the advanced kids take algebra in 8th grade. That's not much of an advancement and that has me worried too. Without any acceleration it will be 4 years before he gets to good math & science--that's too long to wait. It's almost like his brain would be warehoused for the next few years.

I think I'll know a good bit after going to his classroom tomorrow. And right now I think I did find a passion for him, chess! I've never played it beyond learning the pieces and their basic moves. So I picked up a book for him, we learned notation and are alternating between playing and copying some of the master's games.