This is true. It just calmed so many of his out-there behaviors that it seemed to us to be a clear case of problem-solution. He went from uncontrolled behavior that ended with discipline issues at school to "one of the better behaved kids in the class" (teacher's words) because he said he could suddenly decide whether to do things instead of just doing them without thinking.

I did ask his teachers yesterday if they have noticed any issues with his ability to read aloud (he's in our district's full day gifted program which is accelerated 1-2 grades in all subjects). I got a response today. His Language Arts teacher says they assess the kids with oral reading twice a year. In the fall, as a 4th grader, he was assessed using 5th grade standards. He read 167 wpm with 98% accuracy (well above even the spring goal). During the assessment, he had one skip and one substitution, which they consider normal. He self-corrected his reading several times, but they do not count those as errors. They are not concerned, but when he does his spring assessment next week they will communicate those results to me. I didn't know they were doing these assessments at all, so I'm glad to have a little more information from them.

Should any of that information lead me away from dyslexia concern, or does anyone have experience with a child who performs well on assessments but still shows other evidence of underlying issues?