Originally Posted by ElizabethN
"in my day, you had to get a 90% to get an A, and nowadays you can get an A with a 85%!"
This is commonly called a grading scale, one aspect of an institution's grading system?

Where I went to college, the exams were hard enough that you might get an A with a 50%
Was this grading on a curve?

... I find the fixation on achievement in terms of percentage correct to be particularly pointless.
I agree, and I do not find reference to percentage-correct in the definition which I posted or elsewhere in my post.

I agree that we can't really have a meaningful discussion of grade inflation without some kind of agreement about what it is.
Please feel free to share other definitions of Grade Inflation. Citations sourced from publications from the industry might be preferable, as they might tend to be somewhat more broadly utilized and/or accepted.

But even if we agree to the quoted definition, that doesn't mean that any other publication that it discussing it is going to use the same standard.
No need to agree to that particular definition. For example, dictionaries (including online dictionaries) often have multiple definitions for words, and these definitions may overlap to a degree and also may stretch the range of meaning in various directions. Having definition facilitates "translation" between word usage in various contexts.

That makes it hard to cite evidence to support that it even is going on, let alone that it is a problem that needs to be solved.
For purposes of these discussions it would seem that anecdotal evidence and empirical evidence may both be valuable in lending insight to what is occurring? The grading trends, practices, systems, scales, and inflation/deflation* may not be a monolith, and various individuals and groups may experience them differently.

*Grade deflation mentioned in article which mckinley introduced and sought feedback on: article by Patrick Julius (March 2018).