Hmm. I think that you really need to sit and do some major reading and evaluation on what intelligence actually is. I highly suggest you do some reading about the 2E sphere, non-verbal Autistic individuals who have written multiple successful books and more. Let me tell you about my unique situation that gives me very valuable insight..

My first child is a typical high achiever. Hit milestones early, reading fluently by the age of three, currently 2 easy grades ahead across the board and can read at a college level with good comprehension. She's 7.5 years old. Of course, she has other challenges - intensity, etc.. but otherwise, more stereotypically gifted.

My second child is almost completely opposite from this on the outside. He is five years old and still mostly non-verbal. He has low muscle tone. He did not walk until 22 months old. He had multiple mild/moderate health issues in his toddler years. His school wants to call him 'intellectually disabled'. But, I can also tell you this - he could hum a tune back to me at 9 months old. He knew all his alphabet by the age of two, which is still far ahead of 'average'. He knew numbers. He's very perceptive. But, the thing is - people who do not know him intimately, struggle with seeing the things he knows because he has almost non-existent speech. Really, it's super inconsistent. He does not test well at all. He simply does care what random psychologist strangers think of him. He wants to do what he wants to do.

My son is not slow, stupid, 'behind', etc. My son simply has a vastly different brain. He is 'autistic' or whatever. I have no idea what a 'real' IQ would be, because he cannot/does not follow typical testing rules. But I know he's very 'smart' because I witness the unique ways he displays his intelligence. It is my job as his parent not to fit him into a mold that someone else defines as intelligent, but to help him reach HIS full potential. My son has just as much worth and value as my daughter, even though they show their brains in different ways..

Honestly, your child is far too young to make any assumptions about her intellectual abilities. Give her the support she needs to grow at her pace. Do not assume she does not or cannot know things. Leave her doors open to be her best self. My son's differences are a gift to me. They have given me the opportunity to see the depth and range of the human brain AND of the concept of 'intelligence'. I am thankful everyday for being part of the 'disabled' community and find that Autistic and so-called 'Intellectually Disabled' people are simply some of the best people on the planet.. and yes.. many of them are incredibly intelligent.

Last edited by BrandiT; 09/22/18 11:53 AM.

Z - 01/23/11 and O - 05/12/13