My experience has been identical with gender. I am probably the opposite of most parents here, I worried more about the social impact and (stupidly) believed the school would adjust for academics. My DS9 is a late summer birthday, so we had him be the oldest in his grade. The school kept bugging us to move him up a grade (essentially because they could not/would not differentiate). We agreed to subject accelerate him only. Each upper grade teacher would say how great he did in their classes, and continued to recommend moving him up entirely. Then the next year, when they actually had him in their real class, they recanted and stated that socially he thrived being the oldest in their class (so it was helpful having them see him in both groups). DD7 did an early admit for kindergarten, with the intention of us using it as babysitting for us, and the school getting extra funding for her (very small school and it had a low kindergarten enrollment rate that year), and we were told and agreed that she would do kindergarten again the next year with her same age peers (spring birthday). She thrived, and the school changed their minds and pushed us to continue her with that grade. We did not want her being 16 most of her senior year in HS, and refused. She redid kindergarten in a different, much larger school, and is now at the end of her first grade year. She has never bounced back and does not thrive at all. She will state that she is at such a different level than her peers, and has asked repeatedly to be grade skipped again. However her new school will not do grade skips at all. So grade skipping was a better choice for our daughter, but not our son (they are both equally ahead, not much intelligence differences between the two).