Originally Posted by chay
- we offer children's programming offered at "bright and gifted" children. We don't require proof and it works out fine enough. You could start small with something like meeting at a public library for chess or something that wouldn't require a lot of set up organization. Eventually, over time, ours evolved to have paid instructors and span multiple weeks. While the kids are in classes there is a parent room for parents to chat and sometimes speakers are brought in. This is probably our biggest draw. Local psychologists give out handouts for our organization and activities when they find gifted kids.

- we run gifted 101 and 201 sessions for parents with details about testing, advocacy and gifted programs in the area. This started out as a single night but we ended up with too much material so we eventually split it into two - one catering for those that are thinking about testing and are starting out and the other for those that have been through testing and are wondering what to do (or are looking for more tips because they haven't had any luck). We offer each session twice a year and get decent turnouts (we're in a decent size city). Advocating here is a challenge so parents are pretty desperate for help.

Thank you, chay, especially for the library suggestion. i hadn't thought of that, and it would be a good, neutral location.

your second bullet is one of things i want to address. the district offers very little information on the G&T program, how it operates, how students are identified, etc. I'd like to offer a way for parents to understand how the entire process works without having to contact multiple school administrators, which is how i got my information. the district also doesn't offer any parent resources on G&T in general, aside from a few website links. i want other parents to have an easy way to find local and global G&T resources without having to scour the internet.

thank you!