Originally Posted by queencobra
We were still dealing with emotional issues and a lot of it was impulsivity. Sure he could play video games or watch The Simpsons for hours. (Not all gifted kids pursue intellectual stimulation - lol!) He could read or complete a hands on activity that took prolonged focus. Sometimes he would focus so intently that that it was hard to get his attention.

When it came to other things he wasn't as interested in, he would just be off in La La Land and unable to finish without constant reminders. He would forget what he was suppose to do in the ten feet between when I told him to get his shoes on when he went down the hallway to get them. Yes, that is an occasional kid thing, but it was more often like that than not. He was just getting lost in his ideas to the point that he was losing function. He couldn't focus on being present in the moment or the task at hand.
Yes, yes, and yes! I just kept nodding vigorously as I read your post. We are now waiting to get back with the psych. who did some more testing with DD and do plan on moving forward with meds for ADHD. Reading your post gave me more courage to try a trial run.