Originally Posted by Loy58
So the plan is to have him spend an entire year on...6% of the grade's course material? While I applaud the district for having an acceleration policy...100% sounds like a rather ridiculous bar. What happened to the 80% mentioned above?

They've told me off the record that they are required to have a policy for all years, but don't feel comfortable with kids skipping 1st grade. It's impossible on purpose. smirk I've since found out a few kids have actually passed! Apparently they've really struggled, which doesn't help our case.

2nd grade math as implemented here has heavy writing requirements. It's not just math, which makes it a hard match for kids that are asynchronous and just ahead in math. So I think the problem is less with the content they're skipping and more with the content they'll be expected to tackle if they do pass.

I'm meeting with the principal tomorrow morning to figure out "the plan." But I think it's basically keeping him as comfortable as possible for the next year and watching out for any behavior problems that may result from his frustration.

And for us personally, after school math. (Not kumon, but enrichment type math in a math school full of gifted kids -- it should be a good fit.)