I am struggling a bit with supporting my DD(9) who is in her first year of a FT GT public program. We have no private testing yet, but the class requires a 99th percentile cogat score and achievement test score. She entered a year after most of the kids and is unhappy with the way many things are taught (especially math, though that's another post), and I see that she is keeping up, and I am seeing growth. She's not getting top grades all the time, but I am told not to expect that, and am fine with her progress. Unfortunately, the other kids seem to be obsessed with grades, and many wave them in each other's faces, when they do very well. DD doesn't really know how to interpret this behavior, as this is the first year she's received grades, so she makes all kinds of assumptions that I don't think are true (everyone's doing better than me, I don't belong here, etc.). I repeat, that everything I see says she's doing fine.

I don't know that I can change the class, but I am at a loss for how to support her.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience?