Hi Tulip,

The thing to do with schools when they throw you what looks like a curve ball or a new wall to leap over is to just stay focused on steadily advocating - collect as much data as you can, prepare for your meetings by thinking through what point you need to get across, determining your goal for the meeting, and thinking through the conversation ahead of time (consider every curve ball they might throw back at you and think through your response). Don't let emotion get the best of you - it's easy to get annoyed about these things, but best to use that emotional energy to plug away at finding more data (as you are).

I am not terribly familiar with the WISC-V (there are other experts who will answer re the WISC-V), but I do see one thing you might want to pursue re your ds' results. The score for processing speed is significantly lower than some of this other scores, and while this may be somewhat common among gifted students, I'd suggest trying to dig into this and be certain it's not indicative of some other challenge. It's probably nothing, but, for instance, one example: the gap in processing speed is similar to subtest score pattern for dysgraphic students (the other two subtests mentioned, Block Design and Matrix Reasoning, involve skills that might be impacted by dysgraphia). If you've also noticed other symptoms of dysgraphia, I'd pursue further testing to see if there's some type of challenge as the source of lower coding score.

Best wishes,

polarbear

eta - just saw your WISC scores - symbol search pulled down the average on the processing speed score - symbol search requires the student pick out and circle identical symbols in a random field of symbols - a bit like looking for Waldo wink Have you had your ds' eyes or vision checked?

Last edited by polarbear; 01/11/16 12:48 PM.