Cub Scouts has been absolutely wonderful for my DS11, he's been in it since 1st grade and this year (his last year as a cub) he is working on his Arrow of Light award. No dogma in our pack, nice parents, and kids are great (and many gifted).

I think that it's also good for boys in general, because by and large, they teach boys control but allow them to be, well boys while they are doing it.

A new mom at one of our meetings was looking at the very youngest scouts who were running around like crazy playing tag and it was stressing her out. She was saying she never let her son behave like that (truthfully, they were just being boys, so I think her viewpoint was skewed by her own son's temperament which is pretty reserved). I said well, the youngest ones were running around but look at the oldest ones (who were helping the den leaders with the younger kids and setting up the race track for Pinewood Derby.) They have gone from being the running around type to the helpful and responsible type, and that's part of what they learn in cub scouts.

Also, my son is really really proud to be a scout. He gets to spend time with his dad, and learn all sorts of things and hang out with a lot of different kids. He is really looking forward to moving up to Boy Scouts next year.

Anyway, I highly recommend it, and if you join and don't gel with a particular pack, don't be afraid to try a different one. But our experience has been an incredibly positive one.