Update: I had DD10's PT conference today and most of it was spent discussing math. New evaluation was never done(!) but it appears I was right to push for the intervention starting at pre-K level. They are doing 2 math programs daily - one grade level focusing on multiplication, division, decimals, etc. which DD is apparently knocking out of the park (as long as she has access to accommodations) and a second intervention using the Camelot math program. The intervention started at the most basic level (basically pre-K) and she had 100% mastery on the pretest so we put that theory to rest. Had a few issues on the next level, number sense, but the Camelot program pointed to specific interventions which she has now mastered. (I think this is likely 1st grade level stuff so I'm happy I insisted on going back to basics.) The next level was Geometry (which the Key Math eval at the end of 3rd grade measured her as being AHEAD by several grade levels placing her at a mid 6th grade level) and she TOTALLY bombed it - getting only 1 question right on the pretest! Apparently DD insisted on reading the questions herself and they were read to her on the Key Math. Teacher doing the intervention said that the pretest seemed accurate, though. She will insist on reading the questions aloud on future pretests to be sure DD's dyslexia is not interfering. I asked that anything she masters get revisited after a few months to be sure it is retained. I am wondering if these things had been mastered and she lost them or if teachers in younger grades (while still at the public) missed the problems.

They asked about still proceeding with the Key Math eval (no one is familiar with the PAL-II Math). I said I didn't really see a benefit since the idea was to identify areas to target for intervention and it appears Camelot math is doing that bit by bit. Main classroom teacher suggested doing Key Math assessment in the spring to see if Camelot has been effective. I'm not convinced KeyMath Is a good tool for DD, though, since it showed no areas of concern and in fact placed her 3 grade levels ahead on an areas that showed no mastery on Camelot.

She still can't add or subtract to 10 with any level of automaticity but is doing well on the rounding portion of the grade level curriculum. I don't know what, if anything, that tells us. Maybe it confirms the idea that higher level concepts will be easy for her even if she never masters basic arithmetic...

I remain confused but feel like I need to be the one steering the ship. So am I right to say no need for Key Math eval now? Assuming we want an eval in the spring should I insist on PAL-II instead? Teacher doing the intervention suggested using accommodations (which Key Math doesn't really allow) to get a more accurate read. It seems to me it has totally missed in measuring DD. So are there accommodations that could make it worthwhile or should I just push for the PAL-II which no one seems familiar with?