Update! (also cross posted on the testing board)
Well, finally got DS tested with the WISC-V, and I'm so glad I did. I'm still awaiting the official report, but she gave me some info on the phone. This test gave a much clearer view of his strengths and weaknesses. Very apparent his auditory SPD issues have an impact on his scores. Visual-spatial score of 138, fluid reasoning 134, processing speed 111, verbal 108, working memory 117. GAI of 127. She said he was obviously very analytical, so some of his answers were scored lower on verbal due to how he responded (details, not generalizations). She said his visual spatial abilities and mathematical reasoning (99.6% on figure weights) were amazing, and his mind was "like a computer." I asked him tonight if he had problems hearing or understanding his teacher, and he said he did, but he usually already knew what to do or could figure it out. I think I will at last be able to show his school that he's a super bright little guy, but his SPD does impact how he learns. His intelligence has masked his problems in the past and is probably why his diagnosis was so long in coming despite all the red flags. Had he been of average intelligence and his SPD drove down his scores 20 points in one area, it would have been obvious. As it was, he was always so far ahead academically it was easy to write off the red flags. I think I need to look into more ways to help him overcome his auditory challenges.
Thanks to those that gave good advice here (and thanks so much for the specialized knowledge, aeh!)