I think SOTW is problematic too--but if you combine it with other materials it can be problematic in a good way because the storytelling nature of it lends itself to discussing why those stories were chosen and teaching kids early on that they can't just trust a book because it seems to be nonfiction. I also think they're good for helping a child get a better understanding of time and geography. Still, I read those books with mine. I don't think I'd want to just hand them to her and say, "here's history."

For reading/working on her own, mine finds her way in through historical fiction and then selects nonfiction that arises based on the book. Series she likes are Royal Diaries, the Dear America series, and the Journal series by Marissa Moss. Her librarian turned her on to the Giants of Science series.They're really science books, but she gets inspired to read about corresponding historical subjects when she's reading one of them.

Edited because your daughter is in a higher grade than I thought. But if she is only 10, she might still like some of them. They're all fun girl books.

Last edited by Questions202; 10/25/15 09:19 PM.