I am SO appreciative of all of your feedback and suggestions! I agree that just some individualized/independent work won't be sufficient, and reading the comments on that helps me know to push for more. I really like the suggestion of asking for EOY assessments to be given to see where he is in math and which grade-level he might be ready for. But I do worry that his development is uneven (mathematical reasoning is advanced but handwriting is lagging behind and he has a low tolerance for repitition). He is also very small for his age and gets anxious in new social situations, so not sure he would be a good candidate for a grade skip, but I would consider it if we get to that point.

I did tell the teacher about the change in his mood, and she seemed to attribute it to adjusting to long school days and negotiationg social situations (he hasn't had any problems with other kids...he is very sweet and agreeable, just sensitive and easily overwhelmed). Her thoughts on that could be true, but I think school in general is dragging him down because it's tedious for him.

We aren't military...just relocated for my husband's job, but that's cool they have that service! I could use a school liason about now. wink We are not really wanting to homsechool because in general, we are big proponents of public school and community-minded. We also tend to respect and comply with the "professional's" advice on what to do in most situations. So even though we knew our son would have unique learning needs, I think we were naiive in thinking his teacher would immediately see his abilities and have amazing ideas about how to help him. I haven't told her about the testing in our previous district because we weren't sure it would make a difference. But now I'm regretting not being more proactive. I realize now I will need to be more assertive and armed with information if I want my son to have a positive school experience.