Originally Posted by eco21268
I wonder if they'd have to allow a private psychologist observe DS in the classroom, since they aren't willing to take a look?

If it's an IEE that you request through the district (and they approve, rather than going to due process to fight it), then they have to let your evaluator into the school. If it's your own IEE that you pay for/pursue on your own, then I don't know. When I requested the IEE, the sped director sent me a list of "stipulations" and one of them was that the evaluator assess the child in the "natural environment" (i.e. school). They also included a list of approved psychologists but basically none of them go to the school as part of the IEE. So how was I supposed to get an IEE that the school would approve of then, if I couldn't actually get anyone to go to the school? Basically the district sent me a list of psycholgists that are pre-approved, but also said that observations have to take place at the school. It didn't make any sense, because none of those people actually do that. The university-based neuro/ed psych (who was OFF the list, found on my own) said he could go to the school, but then when he started doing the eval he was like "well, obviously, she would be off-task at school" and didn't sound interested in going. I tried to argue with him, saying that the school may reject the IEE and he said he would go if it changed anything in terms of eligibility. I don't know if he worked out something with the sped director (they were having conversations), but he didn't end up going. Now the new school has to do observations because they weren't a part of the IEE. So anyway, my point...if you can find someone who will go to the school to assess school functioning, snatch that person up (assuming they are otherwise qualified), because I think it's rare. I think there are some evalators who specialize in functional behavior assessments, and I found a couple of those, but they wouldn't have been able to do the neuropsych testing that I needed.