Originally Posted by greengirl
Originally Posted by aeh
I would suggest that, rather than either allowing her to be moved down in math, or fighting the placement per se, you might consider requesting a special education evaluation for a possible 2e.

Thank you for the suggestion! I was considering this, but also thought it would be suggested by the school. Would this be something the school would provide or would I ask her pediatrician? I'm not sure if she has age-appropriate attention. If she's interested, she'll focus all day.. but if not, it's more of a challenge.
I'm not familiar with special education evaluations. What specifically would I ask for? Is there a certain test?

The school could have suggested it, but it appears that their response to the situation, at the moment, is to move her down a level in math. You have a right to request an evaluation from the school, at no cost to you. Some families have found that route to be effective. Other families have found that going through their PCP (sometimes insurance covers part of it) gives them more control over the selection of a qualified and sympathetic evaluator, possibly one with experience with 2e. Full disclosure: I work in the public schools as a school psychologist; I feel that I generate a pretty respectable evaluation. =) But that won't necessarily be the case with every psychologist, either school-based or clinic-based.

If you choose to request a special education evaluation through the schools, you would write a letter to the director of special education in your district, requesting an evaluation, listing your specific concerns (academic progress in math, attention, possible twice exceptionality). Normally, the district responds within two weeks with either a notice of refusal to act, which should include reasons for doing so, or a request for consent to evaluate, which should list specific tests or categories of tests. In your DD's case, these should, at a minimum, include a comprehensive measure of cognition (IQ test), comprehensive measure of academic achievement, assessments of attention and behavior (most likely rating scales), and a classroom observation.

Commonly-used instruments:
1. cognition: WISC-V, SBV, KABC-II, DAS-II, WJIVCOG
2. achievement: WIAT-III, KTEA-3, WJIVACH
3. attention/behavior/executive function scales: BASC-2, CBCL/ASEBA, BRIEF, DKEFS (direct measure)

If you happen to be in an RTI or MTSS state, the district may respond first with interventions, or data on her academic progress that indicates there is no need for interventions. That will be trickier. We can talk about that if it turns out to be the situation.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...