Zoo locations is a visual-spatial memory task, but requires a motor response (placing cards in the correct location), which could have been a factor (he is receiving OT/PT, correct?). The lower performance could be related to fine motor, perceptual, or perceptual-motor speed (because if it takes a long time to place the cards, you have more time to forget where they are going), any of which could have resulted in the OT services being needed. The related picture memory subtest can be scored on either verbal or motor responses, which is probably why it was less affected by OT-related concerns.

Picture concepts is a measure of fluid reasoning. How was the other subtest in that cluster (matrix reasoning)? I notice you mention his high reading and language scores. Was math not as high? That often lines up with relatively lower fluid reasoning and visual-spatial scores.

If you have ten subtests, including two verbal subtests, you should have all five primary index scores, which should allow you to see any diversity among the cognitive skill areas. (BTW, the low picture concepts and zoo locations scores aren't in his FSIQ, unless substitutions were made, which seems unlikely.) Is the VCI much higher?

90th %ile is not significantly different from a scaled score of 14. Keeping in mind that the WPPSI-IV and WJIV (I assume that was the IV and not the III, since the WJ was described as oral language and tests of achievement) were not co-normed, nor do they have good linking data, some caution should be exercised when comparing their results for discrepancies.

And finally, young children often are not able to demonstrate the full range of their capabilities in formal testing, just because they are young. Children with disabilities frequently generate low estimates in the primary years.

I don't think the scores look hothoused; I suspect they look like a young child with high verbal ability and perceptual-motor deficits, and the achievement scores to match. (Including the low writing scores.)

ETA: assuming the scores are as I suspect them to be.

Last edited by aeh; 04/17/15 01:56 PM.

...pronounced like the long vowel and first letter of the alphabet...