Originally Posted by ultramarina
Frankly, I'm not even that worked up about modesty in many ways (example: school dress codes are getting out of hand) but it drives me crazy when young girls' clothes and SHOES are too impractical to be active and PLAY in. I have had shoe rules forever. Yes, okay, you can have a pair or two for dressy occasions, but for everyday, you have to be able to RUN in them, scuff them up, etc. No heels! No tiny straps! And your clothes better not fall off your shoulder or down your butt when you move, either. Miniskirts for preschoolers are a nonstarter. I have seen too many girls under age 10 who were decked out like 20yo sorority girls, unable to play on the playground. Or, they do anyway and wreck their clothes and mom yells.
THIS. I've never understood why dress codes why it's a big deal when young girls wear spaghetti straps t-shirts on a hot day. What's wrong with shoulders? On the other hand I agree that too many clothes for young girls are designed to make them look like they are 19 and going out to a hot date.