Hi amamama,

My dd9 is also in a 90/10 dual language program. She will be entering the 4th grade this fall. I highly recommend our language immersion program to parents especially if their children are gifted. Yes, it is challenging, but that can be a good thing. Many gifted children have little to learn in a regular classroom.

We were told when we enrolled our children in the program that it takes 4 to 10 years to because academically fluent in a second language. With two years experience your dd is at best only half way there. If she is reading close to grade level in Spanish she is doing terrific.

I say that I have to disagree with your administration if they are telling you not to work on English at home. Our experience has been that any reading done at home has only improved the children's reading levels in both languages. You only learn the process of reading once. You simply learn a different set of phonics and vocabulary for a second language. My dd's class took their first NCLB tests this year (3rd grade). About half of the English speakers took the reading test in English and half of them took the reading test in Spanish. (They all took the math test in Spanish.) I found it interesting that after being taught in mostly Spanish for four years that many of the students performed better in English. The main reason for this is that it takes a lot of time to develop a full vocabulary in a second language but they easily transferred the concepts they were taught into their native language. It has been fascinating to watch the whole process.

I recommend that you ask your dd to give it one more year unless your dd is feeling overwhelming stress or has a learning disability. You can always change your mind later and leave but it is usually difficult to return once you have left the program. Also, you cannot be assured that school will be a better experience if your dd is in an English program. I was acquainted with one individual who complained extensively about our program and withdrew her child. Later she asked to have her child returned to the program because she did not find the situation any better for her child in an all-English classroom. Unfortunately, the child's spot had been filled so she was not allowed to return.

I remember second grade being the year that most of the students settled into their second language comfortably. The kids will tell you that it is hard to learn another language, but they are so proud to be bilingual.

Of course, you know your dd best so you will make the best decision for her. At least you have a choice. The students who are learning English do not have that option.