My DS15 took a "Practice PSAT" last Saturday morning. This was his first time taking any of this suite of tests. Turns out it really was a "Sample new format SAT". Even though it was supposed to be a PSAT they had them to the sample essay. (He kind of blew that off and And it turns out they didn't grade it..) The number of problems/time are not the same of the PSAT/SAT.

He came home from the test Saturday and said that the test was FUN and the questions not at all hard. But that he came nowhere close to finishing it. Since it was an unofficial sample test he didn't guess, he just left blank the problems he didn't get to. (It's the new test and there is not guessing penalty.) It was also clear from what he said that he over analyzed some of the math problems. It's clear TIME is going to be the biggest issue for his doing well on this type of test. When we got his results last night. Ironically he did better on the reading & writing section even though he is more of a math/science student. He LOVES the "writing" section and not only finished that but almost got a perfect score. (Despite his essay writing challenges.) He only skimmed and guess at the last reading passage, and didn't even finish 1/4 of the Calculator Math section. Time was really more of an issue than the questions being difficult. Of the problems he did in the math calculator section he only got two wrong.

Testing this summer showed DS is a gifted with low-average processing speed and working memory. We talked about requesting extra time with College Board when setting up his 504 and deferred the issue. We didn't write in accommodations for extra time on tests because testing in the past hasn't been a problem. He does have extra time of essays on his 504.

DS's private psychologist suggests I request extra time of the SAT's for him. She said that all the prep in the world isn't going to speed up his slower processing speed. The college board web site implies that it's difficult to get extra time from them if he hasn't already been using this accommodation. I am going to try since we should be able to get extra time at least for the essay writing portion of the SAT. I need to get started on this because the plan is for him to take the SAT Subject Math II test in June.

But I admit I feel a bit guilty about doing this. It feels like cheating? Isn't time what makes these test more difficult? Have anyone gotten extra time out of College Board. What accommodations need to be writing into his 504 for them to consider it? How much time is he likely to be able to make up with just prep?

I know what I have to do to request this, I contact the school psychologist. We will also do still some test prep. And my son thinking having a watch will help him pace himself better. Any other suggestions?

Last edited by bluemagic; 02/12/15 10:07 AM.