My DS7 is in second grade after one skip. We had the meeting to get his 504 plan set up last week, so if anyone happens to have specific suggestions for accommodations we should request, I would appreciate it. He has difficulty with fine motor skills (so writing, etc). They suggested we get an evaluation of his processing as we only have the WISC-IV processing information (which was average but well below other scores). That is somewhat vague, though.

The big thing I need to figure out is whether to keep him at school or not because he just is not able to handle it well when he is either bored by work or doesn't think he can do it well. He is one of the top students in the class according to the teacher, but he told me (when I showed him his report card) that he is no good at anything and all the other kids do better. He is allowed to use the computer if he finishes his work early, but increasingly doesn't even want to try even though he can do it well.

He has a difficult time with math because they want him to show the steps and he loves to do it in his head. This has been a huge sticking point (he was sent to the office for being distracting during testing and the principal asked him difficult math problems, which he answered with no problem but then completely refused to work out even though he would explain verbally the non-school-approved tricks he used to solve them in his head).

We have been considering homeschooling but there are several problems. The main one is that he has always had difficulty with social skills and with some executive functioning skills and my hope has been that he could improve those at school. I know it's possible to do rich social activities as a homeschooler, but there are reasons that would be very difficult.

The school also tells me they think he will have a lot of difficulty in third grade because there is so much writing.

So I'd be interested in feedback on whether others would homeschool or if there are other things we could try to help him do better at school (with better behavior and without feeling like he isn't capable).

Last edited by apm221; 01/17/15 05:58 AM.