Don't we all sometimes wish we had magic wands that would just fix these kinds of things.

My son see's a psychologist not a psychiatrist and is not medicated. We have considered it but for other reasons but are trying other approaches first. We had good results from a social skills class, and sessions with the school districts social worker. I also put both my kids in acting classes, but a class that was more 'process than product' focused. The focus was on teaching acting skills through games without requiring a big performance. It occurs to me that something like a puppet theater could be a fun and helpful way to practice social situations.

One thing I've gotten grief lately is that started "talking for" my child when a 'strange' adult would ask him questions. I would give my son a chance to talk but then try and model correct behavior/language. I would respond as a parent. I was honestly trying to do this to keep people from saying questions like 'why doesn't he talk', and I didn't want to 'punish' or make the issue obvious in front of others. And to show him what normal discourse others expect. But it did get to be a bit of a habit, and now that he is 15 I try and hold my tongue when others address him.