I'm actually interested in the interplay between processing speed and working memory. DD never memorizes material, but she ABSORBS it, quickly and deeply. She clearly remembers what is interesting to her, and fortunately, much interests her. I do wonder how being a quick thinker impacts development of memory. I wonder whether DD relies on rote memory less often (and is a result, it is underdeveloped), because her store of knowledge is large due to her curiosity and ability to think quickly.

This is DD and myself-- to a tee.

It can be a surprising struggle when you run up against something where the brute-force memorization is necessary, however, because you simply lack the skills.

She has a better digit span than I do, for sure-- my digit span is embarrassingly small. About four digits. Seriously.

So both of us have impairments in working memory, but mine are more significant than hers, though they seem focal-- only numeric, not verbal, auditory, or visual. Hers seem to be more global in nature.

Most people NEVER know that, though, because the other elements in our profile more than compensate under normal circumstances.

smile

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.