Originally Posted by puffin
Sounds great but a since a lot of the kids would like/benefit from that don't expect instant enthusiasm.

I've heard this before when advocating for my 2e ds, and fwiw, I think it's an important point to understand when advocating. When this is mentioned in a meeting, I think it's really important to steer the conversation back to the child that the meeting is being held for, and to remind everyone in attendance why the accommodation is necessary to allow this particular student to access his education (i.e., be able to fully comprehend instruction or be able to fully demonstrate his knowledge etc). Point out whatever data points you have - testing example or reports from OT/neuropsych etc - but be sure to immediately point out that "this isn't about gaining an advantage, it's about guaranteeing his right to access his education". BIG difference.

He will have to learn to show his working though even if not graded on it now. Oddly when I was at university most of the stuff I was graded on was homework.

Maybe, maybe not. A lot depends (in the US) on what you choose to study when you're in college. Another thing to remember with this type of accommodation - you are trying to let the teacher see what the true level of knowledge is, in a student who really *can't* communicate effectively through writing. Having a ds who struggles with this tremendously, I don't think that many people really understand expressive language challenges. Another thing that happens with students who have challenges with reading/writing/whatever is that they become overloaded with homework - not because they have difficulty understanding the concepts but because they have issues with putting their thoughts on paper or reading the material or trying to stay focused or eye strain or whatever - and that in turn sometimes prevents them from being successful in school because they are too inundated with work (much of which has nothing to do with what they are learning but has everything to do with their disability), and if they are able somehow to put all the required homework time in that often means no free time left over for *life*. Accommodations as suggested above can bring the overall homework time load back down to a manageable level.

Sorry I think I'm about to climb on a soapbox so I'll step down smile

bluemagic, you've got a good set of accommodation suggestions above. I can't think of any others at the moment. Good luck with your meeting!

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 10/09/14 02:01 PM.