I am in Michigan and I understand your frustration completely. In MI, I have noticed that some public schools enrich or accelerate in lower elementary and some do not. Since there is no gifted funding through the State they are not required to do so, I think it is fortunate if you are in a district that will do this.

If you are not in that type of district, then I would ask yourself do they EVER provide acceleration and if so when? (For example, my district accelerates starting in 5th grade). If it is within a time frame that you can wait and enrich at home, then I would wait it out. Otherwise, I would probably check into a private education that offers a G&T program or acceleration.

I found that my daughter scored in the 98/99 percentile for Reading in lower elementary and the teachers often said the same sort of thing to me; which left me standing there scratching my head and wondering what purpose the test is for, if not to identify students who need more help in both directions (those who are not performing well and those who need more challenges).

I chose to ride out the storm because my daughter was socially very happy at school and never lost her love for school, even though she was bored at times. She still had things to learn so it wasn't all bad for her. We do a lot of enrichment at home, its just how we are, we do math/science/educational stuff for fun.

I did get upset as she started having negative growth; which will happen to your DD too, if they don't challenge her or let her take the more difficult NWEA.

That being said, she was accelerated two grades this year in math. She went from 5th to 7th. Because of that she is in an "accelerated classroom environment" working with other kids who were accelerated in math (her intellectual peers) and so the actual 5th grade work is more intense and challenging as well.

So now, we are both happy. She is still at her grade level with her age appropriate peers, but is being adequately challenged so she is now learning AT SCHOOL, every single day.

She is very happy this year and it made me question my previous decision to let her ride out the lower elementary because I didn't realize how bored or unhappy she actually was.

At any rate, its a tough personal decision to make when your only alternative is to seek out a private education. I decided to save $ for college instead of spending it on lower elementary and wait for the school district to accelerate.

I doubt you will get much more help from your daughter's school, so I wish you much luck with what you choose to do.