Originally Posted by jsmith
My daughter is in first grade and we're struggling to find some context for test scores and understanding whether we should be asking for a differentiated curriculum for her...

...We're now on year three of pretty much no meaningful instruction for her and we're frustrated. What is reasonable to expect from the school? Anyone have any ideas based on her instructional level? We're stumped.

What is she reading at home? Do you annotate those books on the Reading Log? If you are lucky enough to have escaped those, it's a record of what the child is reading every day and most annoying. Have you talked with your child about the comprehension issue? My DS can read at a much higher level than he can comprehend, so it may be that her comprehension hasn't caught up with her decoding and that's normal.

I don't understand this:
Now that her teachers have seen these scores, they insist her big gaps in comprehension are at the 4th grade level instead of 1st and want to enrich her reading comprehension and that's pretty much it.

This sounds like they intend to give her fourth grade books to read and help her learn to comprehend. Is that not the case? If they are, then you need do nothing as they are on their game and already differentiating. Have they sent home books with her that seem appropriate? Or can she tell you the titles of what she's reading at school?