Welcome!

I'm sure one of the first things you'll notice on this forum, in books about giftedness, and in conversations with others, is that every child and every experience is different. When we started down this road, we were hoping for a "magic bullet"—the book that would answer all our questions, or the website that would hit the nail right on the head. There are general ideas that can be helpful, but you'll figure it out since you know your son better than anyone else.

Just take everyone's input and individual stories with a grain of salt and sift through to see what you can use.

For example, my sister's DS12 is gifted and they have found a path with him that works very well for them. He attends public school with some pull-out sessions at the local high school for some of the areas in which is excels. He likes it, she likes it, and everyone is pretty comfortable.

On the other hand, we home school our DS6 because of bad experiences with a school in kindergarten (bullying, unresponsive teachers/administrators, boredom, etc.), and the fact that he's advanced enough in certain topics that an elementary school's grade skip option or pull-out classes wouldn't really be enough. Our school district also does not test for giftedness until late 2nd grade for entrance into moderate gifted classes in 3rd grade. They won't really even talk to us about it since our son is only 6. So, my wife teaches him during the day with help from books, online resources and a scientist friend. It's not an easy path, but the best option we've found so far.

We don't really talk test scores with family or friends since most don't have appropriate context to understand what the scores mean. Besides that, it can be alienating. Some can see it as bragging and they push you away. Others can handle it OK. You'll find your confidants with whom you can have frank discussions. This site is a good platform for that.

There are also debates about how to talk to your child about his/her intelligence. I have found some utility in an article by Sal Khan (of Khan Academy) titled The Learning Myth: Why I'll Never Tell My Son He's Smart. The gist is this:

Fixed mindsets mistakenly believe that people are either smart or not, that intelligence is fixed by genes. People with growth mindsets correctly believe that capability and intelligence can be grown through effort, struggle and failure. [...] I only want [my son and others who ask me about learning] to know one thing. As long as they embrace struggle and mistakes, they can learn anything.

It's a tough tightrope act. You don't want your child to be ashamed of being smart, but you also don't want them throwing it in people's faces, or resting on their laurels.

Just take a breath, realize that you've done a good job so far, you're the best person to handle it going forward, and we're here for you.