I'd look at it from a different standpoint (which I think is actually aligned with what you are thinking, wvmommy). I wouldn't push computer games or drill and kill or whatever. I'd look at is as - the math facts are perhaps slow at the moment but they are what they are, and he's only 9. It's not unusual for absolutely neurotypical no-challenges-in-the-world kids (even gifted nt kids) to not be developmentally ready to seal down their math facts quickly until they are a few years older. I'm guessing there are other challenges that your ds' time would be better invested in than trying to cram math fact fluency in before he's really developmentally ready.

Sooo… first thing at school: how are they working on math facts? Is it fill in worksheets, timed tests etc? Then I'd try to get a work-around in place. If he is slow with handwriting, request that he be given oral response accommodation on timed tests. If he knows them but is slow in responding orally too, then ask for either extended time or reduced # of questions on assessments that impact his ability to move forward. If he is still calculating on his fingers (or whatever), then ask for a calculator accommodation on work that is not straight assessment of timed math fluency.

And - request that he be placed in math at the level his conceptual ability allows him to be placed. It's easy to accommodate for fluency challenges.

Best wishes,

polarbear