Like blackcat I also don't want to stereotype, but I believe that my ds' early preference for non-fiction only was rooted in the choices of books available that appeal to boys. From what I've seen, there is an abundance of early chapter books etc that appeal to girls… but not so much for boys. The only early non-fiction books ds would read were the Captain-Underpants type books. When he discovered Warriors/etc he flew through those and loved them (but it only took a few days to read through each of those types of series… so again.. he was back to reading mostly non-fiction). Now that he's older, he definitely loves Science Fiction, but still enjoys non-fiction too.

I also think it's somewhat a function of personality - my dd who reads all the time for instance, is very happy getting caught up into a story and not coming up for air until she's done. DS likes to be building things, doing things with his hands, solving puzzle-type problems… not so much sitting down with one book for non-stop reading. Non-fiction makes it easier to put the book down, get up, play something on the piano, fiddle with a robot or whatever, then go back to the book.

polarbear