I made a list with check boxes and inserted it into a reusable dry erase pocket and sent it to school with my 6 year old DS last year. I called it his "school chore list" so that he would not feel out of place with it - essentially, it had a list of when he was supposed to drink water, go to the bathroom, when he had to pick up his homework sheets and put them in his backpack, to check his list of tests for the week and bring the appropriate book home, put his cardigan into his backpack, put his water bottle and lunch bag inside his backpack etc. I listed them in the same order as he would do them and he used a dry erase marker and checked them off throughout the day. He was supposed to have marked off all the items before leaving for the departure room in his school.
I did this because he was so focused on playing, talking etc that he forgot little things like drinking water, bringing his lunch bag back etc all the time.
Once he got into the habit, after 3-4 months, he told me that he could remember by himself and did not need the list any more.
I also put post-it notes into his folders if he had to submit papers in class to remind him to do so.
Hope this helps.