I am right there with you! This year, we homeschool all academics and my son attends public school for specials. Every now and then, he has to sit through a bit of his 3rd grade class academics (if there is a scheduling mix up for the day, or if I can't pick him up at the normal time). Anyway, the policy last year was, when this happened, the teacher just let him sit there and read his book. He has never been disruptive, he is really discreet, it all worked out very well. This year - we have just completed one week - the teacher will NOT let him read his book, she has apparently forced him to do the 3rd grade work and will not budge on this. She is aware of his various academic levels outside of school. So far, DS has been polite and told the teacher that he is not there for the academics. But she is insistent. It's really nuts. She has nothing better to do than to police what my DS does for 20 mins in her class while waiting for a ride? Lesson for me - don't be late picking up DS.

I will add to aeh's list - 5. control, control, control. Most elementary teachers I have met seem to have a great need to control as many aspects of their students lives as they can. But that is also the culture of schooling.