Both my older two like to read after climbing into bed. After a few weeks of this Nathan realised one early morning during a soccer game that he was too tired and he asked if his bedtime could be shifted 40 minutes earlier to allow him to still read at night.

Aiden likes to read for at least 20 - 60 minutes per night and also hates to get into bed early. We are waiting for the same reaction as Nathan had - but since here he doesn't have to be up early he can sleep later.

I have solar reading lights for Nathan (he sleeps on the top bunk) and Aiden has a proper desk lamp. He likes to sleep with it on - so he just turns it away from himself when he is ready to sleep.

I'd rather give them a good light as they are likely to read anyways (I read by torchlight or half hanging out of bed by the passage light as a child and destroyed my eyesight by age 10)

Like HK, I don't want to punish the desire to read.

LOL - we do Maths (LOF) as bedtime reading and then they get in and do their own reading... haha how do you complain about either of those habits? laugh

Mom to 3 gorgeous boys: Aiden (8), Nathan (7) and Dylan (4)