Dear Former Social Studies Teacher From Middle School,

It was SO nice of you to remember my DD now that she is a senior. Also lovely that you have followed her success now that she is graduating near the top of her class (having completed an additional gradeskip since you saw her), and is NHS president, and a pretty impressive young lady in so many ways.

NOT so nice of you, however, to have taken this last opportunity to take a blatant passive-aggressive potshot at her in front of a sizeable audience while she was officiating in her role as NHS president. Even worse for you to have made that potshot about her PRIVATE medical history, and her hidden disability, not to mention the contents of her 504 plan.

VERY skilfully done, by the way. I may have to revisit my firm belief that you have NO idea what "gifted" is like from the inside out. I admit that I had been quite skeptical when you belligerently informed me four years ago that YOU knew all there was to know about gifted students because you WERE one of them, and therefore, DD couldn't possibly be struggling with assessment questions due to over-thinking them, or need more depth or anything. I admit it. I was biting my tongue to not say to you that I rather think that being in the top 50% doesn't mean what you think it means. How wrong I was, though-- well played, Ms. Teacher. Well played. Apparently you are mostly gifted at "being as ****y as the average queen bee wannabe." I can see why you teach middle school; your insight into classic girl bully thinking must be truly prodigious.

It doesn't mean that you're STOOOPID if there happens to be a PG child in the world, you know... er-- or maybe you don't, actually. But let's just say that my daughter's intellect outstripped your own when she was nine, you know-- when you had her in your class-- and that we both know that this is at the root of your issues with her. Well, that and the fact that you think that her particular medical condition is exaggerated or "make believe" somehow. Remind me again where you went to medical school?

Thanks for nothing,

The mom you'd better hope doesn't find YOU at commencement, because DH and I would both like to give you (and the special ed coordinator and principal, for that matter) a piece of our collective minds, and let's just say that I'm definitely "good cop."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.