My best strategy is to plan possible activity options ahead of time when my child doesn't otherwise want my attention. When DS goes down for a nap, I enjoy spending 10 minutes or so imagining up some fun ideas for the next day. That way, we can both get behind a plan enthusiastically because it reflects our mutual interests.

I think the reason a lot of parents give up on interacting is that they get stuck in a rut of perceiving an unduly limited set of options. Take the parents at our local park as an example. They see these options:

- Sit on edge of sandbox and fill bucket ad nauseum
- Push child on swing as nauseum
- Stand next to play structure and stare at DC

Why not get involved creatively and do something *you* like! For example, we jazzed up the sandbox by building competing cities of sandcastles and playing bombardment with a rubber ball yesterday. It teaches the child so many strategic and engineering skills: how to optimize castle placement and city configuration, how to throw accurately, how to plan the order of your attack, etc. We played for a good hour, and I can honestly say it was a TON of fun.

For an older child, you can play lava tag, where you are immune if you've climbed on top of the play structure's roof/into a free, etc.

Make games up! Write a hopscotch board with letters and race to see how many words you can hop to in a minute! Draw a number line and race to solve equations using different movements (jumping, skipping, running, crab walking, etc).

Other fun ideas:

- Sports! Kids are never too young to learn them, and they promote the kind of vigorous exercise that children (and their parents!) need. As a rule, I keep a general purpose rubber ball, a practice rubber softball, and a bat in the stroller for impromptu park trips. It doesn't matter if they have no ability or are athletic prodigies. Fun is the name of the game. For older children, a few skipping roles of different lengths are, IMO, essential. Compete on broad jumps, pull ups, high jumps, somersaults and kartwheels, etc.

- Nature exploration: IDing trees, tracking animals, analyzing different parts of plants or insects, building sculptures out of natural materials, IDing cloud/weather formations, doing light experiments with prisms on sunny days, collecting interesting "specimens", stargazing, etc. Go for a hike with a camera, snap pictures of interesting things, and have your child note observations and practice scientific drawings in a log book.

I hope these ideas get you excited to hit the park! Children grow up so quickly-- take advantage of your children actually wanting to be around you while it lasts, because you'll soon be complaining of neglect when they're teenagers. wink

What is to give light must endure burning.