Originally Posted by HowlerKarma
It's all still "go to the library and don't bother anyone" on some level, isn't it?

That's what makes me SO angry about this. Dressing it up as some kind of exaltation of the cult of autodidactism is just plain INSULTING.

This is the same kind of thinking among educators that leads them to shoving gifted children in the corner to get NOTHING educationally, while less able classmates get to interact with an enthusiastic educator and LEARN new things each day.

Shouldn't ALL children have the right to instruction at an appropriate level?

Burns. my. biscuits. Big time.

HK, this happens with ds12. He is one of a few who are interested in learning anything in his LA class and his teacher will send this small group of quiet kids to the library so "they can work in peace and not be distracted by the rest of the class." Something is very wrong with this. Why is it the 3/4 of the kids who don't want to be there and are behavior problems the ones who get the instruction? Why are they allowed to dictate how the class is taught (or not taught)? Why are they not the ones to go to the library? Or the office? Or ISS?
I can answer that: there would hardly be anyone left to teach.

Last edited by KADmom; 02/13/14 06:45 PM.