Our EG ds was given the verbal portion of the CogAT as an older elementary student and was given an extended time and oral response accommodations based on accommodations he was already receiving in the classroom and on state testing due to his dysgraphia. In spite of that, he still scored almost more than 20 percentiles lower on the CogAT than he does on the WISC (and he's had repeated WISCs as well as other ability testing so we have no concerns that for some reason he had some one-time outside-the-box accidental really high WISC score). I asked ds what types of questions were on the test after he'd taken the test, and when he was telling me about the questions he was very proud of how he'd reasoned through the questions that he didn't know the answers to (these were all knowledge-based type questions too, not reasoning ability type questions)... and he used absolutely terrific logic in determining his answers... but the answers he'd come up with on the questions he related to me weren't necessarily correct answers. That's the concern I found with the test when I did some digging around online looking or other people's experiences with the CogAT - it's a learned ability test, and students who are HG/+ may use their outstanding reasoning abilities for the questions that they haven't been exposed to in school yet and come up with an answer that isn't technically "correct".

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 01/20/14 11:00 AM.