Thanks for the update somewhere - it sounds like it went really well!

Originally Posted by somewhereonearth
When the teacher figures in other things (minute math drills, the lack of shown work in assignments) it brings DS down to a C+.

FWIW, I would counter the teacher's concern that this is an age-related or grade-skip issue - I suspect it's personality-related and strength-related. I am pretty danged sure she probably also has some 5th graders in the class who aren't all that verbose at explaining word problems or extremely quick on mad-minute drills. Like you, this wouldn't concern me as a parent at all. It sounds like they aren't going to push him out of his math class, so for now I'd just ignore the teachers concerns. If you want to, you could try to coach your ds at home a bit on what the teacher expects to see in answers on word problems and pay attention to make sure he's finishing all of his homework worksheets (if he has any).

So what if DS can't keep up with the notetaking or cutting with scissors?

Did they really bring up cutting with scissors? And are they really taking lots of notes? Both of those are things that my kids have *not* had in 5th grade classes... so I'm kinda guessing that they can't be *that* significant of an issue smile

Pipe up friends, if you can see a problem here!)

It all sounds good from here! I'm glad your meeting went well!

polarbear

Last edited by polarbear; 01/10/14 12:03 PM.