Those adults that I know who have truly severe AD(H)D, though-- they COULD have trouble with routine daily tasks if they are unmedicated.

Would you trust such a person to-- pick up a child's prescription from the pharmacy (assuming that it was URGENTLY needed, I mean)?

Probably not-- you'd scaffold reminders, or maybe ask someone else to do those critical tasks. NO WAY could that person do my household's grocery shopping, because that IS such a critical task.

So different kinds of disability produce different impacts on the tasks associated with daily life-- but that doesn't make the impairment "less" on some magical scale of disability. After all, someone who has a chronic medical condition and drives a cab in a large city is far more impaired by AD(H)D than a creative artist who lives off the grid and on their own, and does not drive.

It's hard, because many hidden disabilities require an answer of "yes, probably the person could be reasonably independent...as long as nothing unexpected goes WRONG..."

Schrödinger's cat walks into a bar. And doesn't.