thank you, everyone!

polarbear, I'm not sure about testing. He has an IEP so I am hoping eventually something will come up that will push for testing but for now the Special Ed Director's view is that he's very smart and we won't need any testing (speaking of the future). I kept pointing out to his preschool teacher last year (public school special ed) that I noticed how often he writes the first letter of his name as a mirror image ... letter N, and her response (after having him in class for 6 months) was oh, I didn't really notice that! Must not be happening that often! ... and I saw it on every other piece of art work he brought home! And anytime he's writing letters, he insists on starting in the bottom. When he starts at the top, he gets lost. It's just that gut feeling that something's not right.

That said, he will get 30 minutes / week OT for writing because he has a lot of issues just holding the pen / pencil / marker so hopefully the OT will pick up on any possible problems? If the OT will keep requesting him having writing OT in his IEP plan, at that point I think I'll keep pushing for testing!

He just turned 5 so I know I'm expecting a lot from him and maybe there are no issues? But I just find it really strange that after knowing the alphabet for 3 years, he still makes mistakes on p/q, m/w, b/d. It's gotten a little better but it still is a big problem for him at times. Given how super sharp he is with everything else, he should be reading by now and he won't even attempt to decode one word because they don't make sense to him. I know he remembers couple sight words but he sees them as pictures, not as series of letters. And lately he started taking words apart doing really good job at telling me beginning letters of words but again can't do anything with written text.

Having a younger brother who started reading at 2.5 doesn't help much either frown