My first thought in reading your post is: Do you have any data to show your child is gifted or needs anything moderately beyond the regular K curriculum? I ask because without data school likely will see you as yet another parent who thinks their child is SO advanced which is probably what you were referring to as "that parent". Many parents at my son's school "thought" their children were gifted but testing doesn't always bear that out. Data is also important because it is difficult to know what to ask for without it.

Four days in is boring even at a school that gets the academic level right. It does take several weeks for teachers to "place" the children in appropriate groups so they can differentiate. It always takes a toll those first weeks. I remind my child that if he does his best work and shows what he knows then it lets the teacher see that he can already do the "too easy" work. He has to prove what he knows first... every year. THEN If he still doesn't get what he needs... then you contact the teacher and schedule a meeting. Bring work samples from school and home and talk about what he is saying about school.

Best wishes for a good school fit!