You know how you write out your plans in your day planner for school? I read what I think is a better idea for kindergarten, and I use it. I bought my day planner and write down the curriculum we did each day after we do it. I expect my son to do either HWT or copy one sentence every day correctly and neat. I expect him to do one math, we have Singapore, Khan Academy, and Beast Academy. He has to do one other subject every day. Our state required five subjects, we pick one of those as the third thing. It would make sense to do one of those every day, but we just do one and figure it will even out. It's not like he's going to fall behind if we "just keep swimming". If I say, well, we haven't done this subject for a while, you have to do this today, that's good enough. This is simple. It takes less than an hour (unless he's just not doing it), and I have my preschooler and neice both do their lessons in the same timeframe. We don't all three do it every day, just most days. It really is sufficient. Anything fun, like you described, is just that- fun. Do it in your bountiful free time. I homeschool after lunch. I kick them out in the yard for two hours in the morning then let them inside for the tv, playroom, and video games. After lunch it's time to do your lessons. The lessons take about an hour for all three subjects. For example he may read a golden book as that third lesson one day, give me an oral report the next day, and copy what I wrote down that he said the next. I want the HWT, math, and third subject to take less than an hour. (actually, I bought Writing With Ease and that's my daily requirement, I just allow HWT to count as WWE).

If you write your "plans" after you've done them, homeschool right after lunch, and only count the essentials as homeschooling (the rest is just stuff we like, on our own time), I think it will make it go smoother. One might think that after lunch one might be sluggish and choose not to teach homeschool then, but I like that they get the morning free time reguardless of their choices, and that early in the afternoon they have an incentive not to waste the rest of the day by dragging their feet (most days). And by writing the plans afterwards it doesn't really matter if you miss a day here or there to go do something else.

Youth lives by personality, age lives by calculation. -- Aristotle on a calendar