You know, I'm always looking for opportunities like that too, those real life experience are where I see the girls really excited to learn.
That was the main reason we applied to DYS for DD8, because the info suggests the children could have access to mentors.
We've had a lot of success at The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago. They have a lot of young people who are pursuing or have achieved degrees in science, math and physics doing what they call on floor demonstrations. These are just live science experiements that are done in different spots in the museum. The girls love it and usually stay after asking tons of questions. They particularly like the young women and DD8 followed one around for a while after the demo bugging her. But the nice young lady really was nice and told her about a science program the museum had for kids which we didn't know about.
I try to accomodate the girls when they are on fire about learning something as well, ACS. Whether or not someone else thinks it's not appropriate.

((shrug))