Originally Posted by Zen Scanner
Funny timing, we spoke to Kumon this week and they talked about a full assessment, but nothing focused on just handwriting. The person there did mention Handwriting Without Tears, but we are looking for someone other than us to get into the nitty gritty.

I've heard of Handwriting Without Tears but don't know anything about it.

The center director told me that (even though she wasn't an expert) DS likely didn't have a visual impairment that is driving his sloppy writing and lack of spacing. She said that those who have that problem are usually behind their grade level in reading by at least two years. She again stressed she wasn't an "expert", but that told me DS likely doesn't have a problem with his eyes making the writing difficult.

We thought that if DS' handwriting is still "a mess" by Christmas, we are hiring a college student to help. Then, if that doesn't produce results, we would re-consider Sylvan for next summer.

Funny thing: DS loves to write. His writing isn't always legible, but he's a creative guy. Yesterday he wrote out a schematic for a game he made up. All the spellings of the words were correct and he separated things out into categories within boxes. (I'm keeping this.)

So...

I'd love to hear from someone on this site who was marked down for handwriting, yet blew the teachers away with essays later on.

Anyone?